Search our Index of Books Reviewed (in all volumes from 1 to 27) to find out whether a particular work has been reviewed. Every main author of a work is included in the index. If you do not know the author’s name, you can search the Index by a keyword from the title of the book.
If you are a JRA subscriber, we will provide a free copy of any review you need (up to 4 in any calendar year). Others may purchase JRA reviews at a nominal cost of $1 per JRA page. Send us a message – jra@JournalofRomanArch.com – to tell us which review you need and we will work out the arrangements expeditiously. All reviews are available in PDF form or in most cases we can send an original offprint by mail.
All reviews in volume 26 (2013) are now available on the Cambridge Journals website here. The back issues will be available on CJO in the summer of 2014.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
Works Without a Listed Author
· 30.682: L. de Ligt & L. E. Tacoma (edd.), Migration and mobility in the early Roman Empire. Reviewed by R. H. Wilkinson
20.639: L. E. Tacoma, Fragile
hierarchies. The urban elites of third-century Roman
Egypt. Reviewed by R. S. Bagnall.
· 15.646: M. Fischer, M. Gichon and O. Tal, ‘En Boqeq. Excavations in an oasis on the Dead Sea, vol. II. Reviewed by A. Berlin.
R. J. A. Talbert:
· 31.717: R. J. A. Talbert, Roman portable sundials: the empire in your hand. Reviewed by J. P. Oleson.
· 29.692: S. E. Alcock, J. Bodel and R. J. A. Talbert (edd.), Highways, byways, and road systems in the pre-modern world. Reviewed by R. Laurence.
27.681: R. J. A. Talbert (ed.), Ancient perspectives: maps
and their place in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece &
Rome. Reviewed by A. H. Merrills.
· 25.763: K. A. Raaflaub and R. J. A. Talbert (edd.), Geography and ethnography: perceptions of the world in pre-modern societies. Reviewed by A. H. Merrills.
24.831: R. J. A. Talbert, Rome’s world: the Peutinger
Map reconsidered. Reviewed by M. Kulikowski.
14.454: R. J. A. Talbert (ed.), Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman world.
Reviewed by S. ALcock, H. Dey & G. Parker.
· 28.946: R. Talgam, Mosaics of faith. Floors of Pagans, Jews, Samaritans, Christians, and Muslims in the Holy Land. Reviewed by J. Balty.
· 20.418: J. Poblome, P. Talloen, R. Brulet and M. Waelkens (edd.), Early Italian sigillata: the chronological framework and trade patterns. Reviewed by S. Rotroff.
· 4.356: J. Reynolds and R. Tannenbaum, Jews and godfearers at Aphrodisias; Reviewed by M. Le Glay.
9.353: R. Tansini, I ritratti
di Agrippina Maggiore. Reviewed by C. B. Rose.
25.848: I. Tantillo e F. Bigi (a
cura di), Leptis Magna.
Una città e le sue iscrizioni in epoca tardoromana. Reviewed
by A. Gavini.
23.675: J.-Ch. Moretti and D. Tardy
funéraire monumentale: la Gaule dans l’Empire romain. Reviewed
by A. Emmerson.
· 25.644: P. Roberts, W. Gudenrath, V. Tatton-Brown and D. Whitehouse, Roman cameo glass in the British Museum. Reviewed by C. Weiß.
C. Tavares da Silva:
· 13.633: F. Mayet and C. Tavares da Silva, L’atelier d’amphores de Pinheiro (Portugal). Reviewed by L. M. Stirling.
· 11.603: F. Mayet, A. Schmitt and C. Tavares da Silva, Les amphores du Sado (Portugal). Prospection des fours et analyse du materiel. Reviewed by D. Peacock and D. Williams.
9.502: A. Desbat, O. LeBlanc, J.-L.
Prisset, H. Savay-Guerraz, D. Tavernier, La
maison des dieux Océan à Saint-Romain-en-Gal (Rhône).
Reviewed by M. George.
24.870: I. Taxel, A Byzantine monastery in the
Judaean Shephelah. Reviewed by J. Patrich.
· 16.557: R. Taylor, Roman builders. A study in architectural process. Reviewed by M. Wilson Jones.
· 13.691: F. De Romanis and A. Tchernia (edd.), Crossings. Early Mediterranean contacts with India. Reviewed by C. R. Whittaker.
· 3.325: A. Tchernia, Le vin de l'Italie romaine. Reviewed by A. J. Parker.
· 4.387: TED’A, Els enterraments del Parc de la Ciutat I. La problematica funeraria de Tarraco; Reviewed by S. J. Keay.
4.387: TED’A, Un abocador del
segle V D.C. en el Forum Provincial de Tarraco.
Reviewed by S. J. Keay.
· 25.820: F. Teichner, Entre tierra y mar: Zwischen Land und Meer. Architektur und wirtschaftsweise ländlicher Siedlungplätze im Süden der römischen Provinz Lusitanien (Portugal). Reviewed by M. Kulikowski.
28.637: P. Temin, The Roman
Reviewed by P. F. Bang.
29.833: J.-C. Béal, C. Coquidé
et R. Tenu, Ludna et Asa Paulini. Deux
étapes antiques du Val de Saône sur la route de
Lyon. Reviewed by Ph. Leveau and R. Royet.
· 29.887: R. Docter, R. Boussoffara and P. ter Keurs (edd.), Carthage, fact and myth. Reviewed by J. Freed.
· 31.753: R. Opitz, M. Mogetta & N. Terrenato (edd.), A mid-Republican house from Gabii. Reviewed by E. Fentress.
15.536: S. Keay and N. Terrenato (edd.), Italy and the West. Comparative issues in
Romanization. Reviewed by D. J. Mattingly.
22.696: W. S. Hanson with K.
Speller, P. A. Yeoman and J. Terry, Elginhaugh: a Flavian fort
and its annexe. Reviewed by R. H. Jones.
23.510: E. Teyssier, La mort en face. Le dossier
gladiateurs. Reviewed by M. Junkelmann.
23.510: E. Teyssier and B. Lopez, Gladiateurs. Des sources à
l’expérimentation. Reviewed by M. Junkelmann.
· 26.783: M. Pasqualini, R. Thernot et H. Garcia, L’amphithéâtre de Fréjus. Archéologie et architecture, relecture d’un monument. Reviewed by D. L. Bomgardner.
D. H. Thimme:
23.736: W. O. Stern and D. H.
eastern port of Corinth, vol. VI: ivory, bone and
related wood finds. Reviewed by J. Rife.
· 17.716: J. Devreker, H. Thoen and F. Vermeulen, Excavations in Pessinus: the so-called Acropolis. From Hellenistic and Roman cemetery to Byzantine castle. Reviewed by C. Lightfoot.
J. D. Thomas:
18.663: A. K. Bowman & J. D. Thomas, The Vindolanda writing-tablets III.
Reviewed by W. Eck.
M. L. Thomas:
27.517: M. L. Thomas & G. E.
Meyers (edd.), Monumentality
in Etruscan and Early Roman architecture.
Reviewed by G. Cifani.
T. K. Thomas:
· 15.686: T. K. Thomas, Late antique Egyptian funerary sculpture. Reviewed by S. Walker.
F. H. Thompson:
· 16.571: F. H. Thompson, The archaeology of Greek and Roman slavery. Reviewed by K. Bradley.
4.345: S. Macready and F. H. Thompson
(edd), Roman architecture in the Greek
world. Reviewed by F. K. Yegül.
· 27.837: P. Thonemann (ed.), Monumenta Asiae Minoris Antiqua vol. IX. Monuments from Phrygia and Lykaonia ... Reviewed by C. P. Jones.
26.914: P. Thonemann, The Maeander Valley. A
historical geography from antiquity to Byzantium.
Reviewed by M. Whittow.
· 28.877: H. Jackson & J. Tidmarsh, Jebel Khalid on the Euphrates, vol. 3. The pottery. Reviewed by J. A. Baird.
C. van Tilburg:
21.442: C. van Tilburg, Traffic and congestion in the Roman Empire.
Reviewed by D. J. Newsome.
14.613: M. Fulford and J. Timby, Late Iron Age and Roman Silchester.
Excavations on the site of the Forum-Basilica 1977,
1980-1986. Reviewed by R. White.
25.696: M. Tirelli (ed.), Altino antica: dai Veneti a
Venezia. Reviewed by A. J. Ammerman.
27.785: T. Hufschmid & L.
Treppenhaus. Zur Architektur und Wanddekoration der
Gebäude in Insula 39 von Augusta Raurica.
Reviewed by R. Ling.
· 31.568: Ö. Wikander with contributions by F. Tobin, Roof tiles and tile-roofs at Poggio Civitate (Murlo). The emergence of central Italic tile industry. Reviewed by I. Edlund-Berry.
18.669: M. Todd (ed.), A
companion to Roman Britain. Reviewed by D.
· 31.769: L. Todisco (ed.), Bari romana. Reviewed by A. M. Small.
26.741: L. Todisco (ed.), La Puglia centrale dall’età
del Bronzo all’Alto Medioevo. Archeologia e storia.
Reviewed by A. M. Small.
G. W. Tol:
27.630: G. W. Tol, A fragmented history. A
methodological and artefactual approach to the study of
ancient settlement in the territories of Satricum and
Antium. Reviewed by M. Revello Lami.
23.782: R. Tomber, Indo-Roman trade: from pots
to pepper. Reviewed by D. Whitehouse.
· 14.619: R. Tomber and J. Dore, The National Roman Fabric Reference Collection. A handbook. Reviewed by M. Fulford.
9.484: M. Fulford and R. Tomber (edd.), Excavations at Sabratha 1948-1951, vol. II.
The finds, Part 2. The finewares and lamps.
Reviewed by J.-P. Morel.
· 26.519: M. Tombrägel, Die republikanischen Otiumvillen von Tivoli. Reviewed by D. Booms.
M. A. Tomei:
· 18.551: M. A. Tomei, Scavi francesi sul Palatino. Le indagini di Pietro Rosa. Reviewed by Y. Perrin.
24.679: R. S. O. Tomlin, R. P.
Wright & M. W. C. Hassall, The Roman inscriptions of Britain vol. III.
Inscriptions on stone found or notified between 1
January 1955 and 31 December 2006. Reviewed by
A. R. Birley.
· 3.437: R. Tomlin, "The curse tablets" in B. Cunliffe (ed.), The Temple of Sulis Minerva at Bath II: finds from the sacred spring. Reviewed by D. R. Jordan.
26.500: G. F. La Torre e M. Torelli
ellenistica in Italia e in Sicilia. Linguaggi e
tradizioni. Reviewed by R. Ling.
· 2.147: M. Torelli, Lavinio e Roma. Riti iniziatici e matrimonio tra archeologia e storia. Reviewed by L. Richardson, Jr.
· 20.661: L. Török et al., After the Pharaohs. Treasures of Coptic art from Egyptian collections. Reviewed by T. K. Thomas.
· 6.403: E. Toth, in M. Hainzmann and Z. Visy, Instrumenta inscripta latina - das römische Leben im Spiegel der Kleininschriften. Reviewed by M. C. W. Still.
· 31.883: I. Tóth, Pannoniai Vallástörténet. Reviewed by Cs. Szabó.
L. A. Touchette:
· 10.427: L. A. Touchette, The dancing maenad reliefs: continuity and change in Roman copies. Reviewed by M. Fullerton.
· 5.434 and 3.465: I. Touratsoglou, Die Münzstätte von Thessaloniki in der römischen Kaiserzeit. Reviewed by K. Butcher and by W. E. Metcalf.
· 5.367: A. Tovar, Iberische Landeskunde: segunda parte. Las tribus y las ciudades de la antigua Hispania, Tomo 3, Tarraconensis. Reviewed by M. Millett.
· 7.303: S. Tovoli, Il sepolcreto villanoviano Benacci Caprara di Bologna. Reviewed by D. Ridgway.
· 29.875: C. P. Trainor, The ceramics industry of Roman Sikyon: a technological study. Reviewed by K. W. Slane.
· 31.648: M.
Dondin-Payre & N. Tran (études réunies par), Esclaves
et maîtres dans le monde romain. Expressions
épigraphiques de leurs relations. Reviewed by
K. R. Bradley.
27.584: N. Tran, Dominus tabernae. Le statut
de travail des artisans et des commerçants de l’Occident
romain. Reviewed by A. Wallace-Hadrill.
Tran Tam Tinh:
· 8.480: Tran Tam Tinh and M.-O. Jentel, Corpus des lampes à sujets isiaques du Musée Gréco-Romain d’Alexandrie. Reviewed by C. Pavolini.
· 5.331: Tran Tam Tinh, La Casa dei Cervi a Herculaneum. Reviewed by R. Ling.
· 14.632: G. Traversari (ed.), Laodicea di Frigia 1. Reviewed by S. Mitchell.
· 15.561: P. Leveau, F. Trément, K. Walsh and G. Barker (edd.), Environmental reconstruction in Mediterranean landscape archaeology. Reviewed by J. F. Cherry.
· 15.561: M. Pasquinucci and F. Trément (edd.), Non-destructive techniques applied to landscape archaeology. Reviewed by J. F. Cherry.
· 15.577: A. Trevisiol, Fonti letterarie ed epigraphiche per la storia romana della provincia di Pesaro e Urbino. Reviewed by J. Linderski.
17.681: J. Edmondson, T. Nogales Basarrate
and W. Trillmich, Imagen y memoria.
Monumentos funerarios con retratos en la Colonia
Augusta Emerita. Reviewed by S. J. Keay.
25.622: J. Trimble, Women and visual replication
in Roman imperial art and culture. Reviewed by E.
27.607: F. P. Porten Palange &
C. Troso, La terra
sigillata italica della collezione Stenico.
Reviewed by P. M. Kenrick.
· 19.525: H. Slim, P. Trousset, R. Paskoff et A. Oueslati, Le littoral de la Tunisie. Reviewed by A. I. Wilson.
13.721: P. Trousset (ed.), L’Afrique
du Nord antique et médiévale vols. 1-2.
Reviewed by D. L. Stone.
23.630: S. Trow, S. James and T
Moore, Becoming Roman,
being Gallic, staying British. Research and excavations
at Ditches ‘Hillfort’ and villa. Reviewed by N.
11.583: F. Guidobaldi, F. Olevano, A.
Paribeni, D. Trucchi, Sectilia pavimenta di
Villa Adriana. Reviewed by J. E. Packer.
24.542: M. Trümper, Graeco-Roman slave markets:
fact or fiction?. Reviewed by R. B. Hitchner.
17.603: M. Trunk, Die ‘Casa
de Pilatos’ in Sevilla. Studien zu Sammlung,
Aufstellung und Rezeption antiker Skulpturen im
Spanien des 16. Jhs. Reviewed by A.
22.739: S. Trzcionka, Magic and the supernatural
in fourth-century Syria. Reviewed by A. J.
P. L. Tucci:
· 31.722: P. L. Tucci, The Temple of Peace in Rome, vol. 1: Art and culture in Imperial Rome; vol. 2: Remodeling, conversions, excavations. Reviewed by J. E. Packer.
24.512: A. Tuck, The necropolis of Poggio Civitate (Murlo).
Burials from Poggio Aguzzo. Reviewed by D.
· 26.877: A. Ovadiah and Y. Turnheim, Roman temples, shrines and temene in Israel. Reviewed by J. A. Overman.
22.825: G. Volpe and M. Turchiano
(edd.), Paesaggi e
insediamenti rurali in Italia meridionale fra
tardoantico e altomedioevo. Reviewed by P.
J. M. Turfa:
· 31.559: S. L. Budin & J. M. Turfa (edd.), Women in antiquity. Real women across the ancient world. Reviewed by L. Caldwell.
· 28.513: J. MacIntosh Turfa (ed.), The Etruscan world. Reviewed by A. Nijboer.
· 19.393: J. M. Turfa, Catalogue of the Etruscan gallery of the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Reviewed by F. R. Serra Ridgway.
· 30.666: R. Turcan, Recherches mithriaques: quarante ans de questions et d’investigation. Reviewed by R. Gordon
· 10.465: R. Turcan, L'art romain dans l'histoire. Six siecles d'expressions de la Romanité. Reviewed by R. Brilliant.
6.403: R. Turcan, Nigra
Moneta. Reviewed by M. C. W. Still.
· 19.659: Y. Turnheim and A. Ovadiah, Art in the public and private spheres in Roman Caesarea Maritima. Reviewed by K. G. Holum.
· 10.557: A. Ovadiah and Y. Turnheim, "Peopled" scrolls in Roman architectural decoration in Israel. The Roman theatre at Beth Shean/Scythopolis. Reviewed by G. Foerster.
R. A. Tybout:
6.341: R. A. Tybout, Aedificorum
figurae. Untersuchungen zu den
Architekturdarstellungen des frühen zweiten Stils.
Reviewed by A. Kuttner.
24.791: V. Tzaferis and S. Israeli,
Paneas vol. I. The Roman to Early Islamic
periods. Excavations in areas A, B, E, F, G and H.
Reviewed by B. Burrell.
24.791: V. Tzaferis and S.
Israeli, Paneas vol.
II. Small finds and
other studies. Reviewed by B. Burrell.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
Works Without a Listed Author